Right, so, I was going to review a book today but then this thing happened over the weekend and now everything is…different.
What is that thing (you may be asking, I don’t know, I’m not you, I don’t even know if I’m me anymore)? Well, I started watching this fantastic little show called The 100 (AIRING WEDS AT 9 ON THE CW AND YOU SHOULD TOTALLY MAYBE THINK ABOUT WATCHING IT BECAUSE WHAT IF IT’S CANCELLED? I HONESTLY CAN’T BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT I WOULD DO) and I fell so hard and so fast for an OTP I am still picking up the pieces of my life and looking at them blankly like what are you for? Then setting them down and wandering around in aimless circles.
I have been to the scary place, my friends. Then I went so far past the scary place, the scary place a fond and distant memory and here I am typing words at you and for real what is life anymore?
(For more information on why you should be watching The 100 and why I need this OTP like oxygen–One True Pairing for those that don’t speak fluent tumblr–please check out Tatum’s fantastic post.)
Some of you know what I’m talking about. Finding an OTP is kind of like getting hit by a bus. You’re just walking along, living your life, birds are chirping, the sun is shin-WHAM RUNAWAY HIGH SPEEDS MOTOR VEHICLE COLLISION AND NOTHING IS THE SAME.
For those of you that have your shit together and are able to experience things without letting them take over your life, let me break down the 21 stages of discovering a new OTP.
1. Hmm, I spy a ship! This could be a good thing.
You’ve found a new ship, everything is full of possibilities. Punctuation and lowercase letters are still a part of your life.
2. Binge everything.
Life outside your couch does not exist. Food? Hygiene? Human contact? They don’t matter. There’s something in the fridge, you’ll survive. Keep going.
3. DID I SAY SHIP? I MEANT OTP.
Your grasp of lowercase is slipping.
4. “Hello friends. Here is this thing that seems pretty cool. Maybe you should sort of, kind of give it a shot. NO PRESSURE.”
You carefully monitor your capslock so you don’t alarm them. You can still do that sometimes.
5. ANALYSIS TIME.
You scrutinize key scenes looking for previously missed details and possible subtext.
6. HOW DOES THE ENTIRE WORLD NOT REALIZE HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS?
THIS IS EVERYTHING. YOU KEEP TRYING TO TELL PEOPLE BUT IT’S LIKE THEY DON’T CARE
7. WAIT, I HAVEN’T CHECKED TUMBLR YET.
8. THANK GOD FOR TUMBLR.
YOU ARE MY PEOPLE, MY NATION, MY SPIRIT ANIMALS AND I WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT YOU.
9. HOLY MARY, MOTHER OF YOUTUBE.
THE VIDEO COMPILATIONS THEY HURT THEY HURT SO GOOD*
*sadly, this one generally only applies to tv
10. DON’T FUCKING TOUCH ME I AM NOT OKAY.
11. Should I…should I fic?
12. WHAT IS LIFE WHAT IS AIR EVERYTHING IS SHIP
It’s been an intense concentrated period of time since you boarded this ship. Possibly only 36 hours. You’ve consumed 5 lbs of Reese’s Cups and are subsisting mainly on ancient corndogs you’ve dug out of the icy bowels of the freezer. Maybe you’re starting to smell. You should probably…something?
13. Go back to tumblr. Yes, that was it.
14. SO WHAT IF YOU’RE REWATCHING/REREADING ALREADY? IT’S OKAY. YOU’RE OKAY.
YOU COULD’VE MISSED SOMETHING. SURE, YOU CAN RECITE ENTIRE CHUNKS OF DIALOGUE BY HEART BUT THAT MEANS NOTHING.
15. what are words? what are life? everything ship.
16. OKAY. TIME TO GO TO REJOIN THE WORLD.
17. Other people: “words that aren’t ship”
18. “Hey there! What have you been up–?” “GOOD TIMES. WEEKEND TIMES. YES. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DON’T LOOK AT ME.”
CONGRATULATIONS YOU’VE EARNED YOURSELF A PEEK AT TUMBLR!
19. *sobbing in the bathroom*
Is this just life now?
20. Take comfort with your equally addicted friends.
You may have gone off the deep end but at least you’re not alone. Your friends are what will get you through this. Hug them, love them, appreciate them.
21. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary until the next episode/book comes out.
Now, not to alarm you, but I’ve actually gone through this process a few times. Sometimes it’s a ship (usually it’s a ship), sometimes it’s an incredible story, but something will sweep me away and when I get to the end I’m utterly unable to let it go without wringing every last drop of content I can out of it. It’s abrupt, it’s intense and honestly it’s kind of the best thing ever when it’s happening.
Books That Have Obliterated Me:
- Newsflesh: Feed, Deadline and Blackout by Mira Grant (OTStaff of After The End Times)
- The Lumatere Chronicles: Finnikin of the Rock, Froi of the Exiles and Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta (So many OTPs I don’t know where to start)
- The Raven Cycle: The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves and Blue Lily Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater (OT5)
- Fever: Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, Dreamfever, and Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning (I still can’t tell you if I shipped this or not but I had very strong feelings)
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (this book is disturbing levels of beautiful)
- All the Harry Potter books (for 10 damn years these books were the sun to my Earth)
TV That Has Left Me Unable To Go On:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The 100
How about you? What are some books or shows that have hit you like a truck? Were they by chance The 100? I promise I’m better about talking about it without shouting now (that’s a lie, I’m not but I won’t shout at you, just to you).